Friday, September 14, 2012

Using Pronouns Abstractly

Sometimes I have trouble coming up with a word, especially if I am talking about a person, which I don't know the sex of, or the name of the person. It is in times like that that I use pronouns abstractly.

Words like "their," "they," and "them" can be used to describe one person, even though the definitions for those words usually indicate more than one, like this: They really need to calm down. They referring to a person who is acting crazy, which I do not know the sex of. Their an also be used in the same manner, referring to something that is owned by someone, which you do not know the sex of. Them is harder to use, and you will probably end up using he or his, because people generally tend to lean toward those instead of her or hers, and I am not going to provide an example.

Note:
This is my first ever blog post, so leave improvements I can make to my style, and suggestions of what to blog about in the doobley-doo below. DFTBA, The Northern Pyro.

No comments:

Post a Comment